The mission of the Carrousel international du film de Rimouski is to promote the development of youth through the moving image as an art form, an educational tool, and a means of expression. Through its activities and events, the Carrousel becomes a gateway to the world, raising viewers’ awareness and stimulating creativity.
The Carrousel international du film de Rimouski pursues the following objectives:
- Promotes Quebec, Canadian and international youth cinema in its diversity of genres, approaches and content delivery media.
- Supports innovative youth cinema by providing stimulating professional advancement opportunities for film, television and new media artists and craftspeople.
- Introduces young people to the process of cinematographic creation and production.
- Contributes to the development of an international youth content distribution network.
- Partake in the city of Rimouski cultural landscape and in the growth of the Quebec film industry.
The Carrousel international du film de Rimouski subscribes to four basic values that its orientations:
- The belief that accessibility to art and culture enriches the community.
- The commitment to support youth education by mobilizing the driving forces of the educational, cultural, economic and political circles.
- The determination to foster innovation through creativity and openness to the world.
- The acknowledgment of experimentation as an educational tool for knowledge transfer.
A BRIEF HISTORY
In September 1983, a small group launched a project in Rimouski that would quickly become a can’t-miss event for local families: a whole weekend of film screenings and workshops devoted to young people. Two film professionals took part in this event: André Melançon and Danyèle Patenaude, the director and screenwriter of the film La Guerre des tuques. The Carrousel international du film de Rimouski had just taken its first steps.
The event gradually grew to become an international point of reference. Many foreign festivals, including Cannes Écrans Junior, now approach the Carrousel for expertise when establishing their programming. This is how the Carrousel developed its educational component over time.
After nearly 38 years, at the peak of its notoriety and firmly implanted in the Quebec cinematographic landscape, the festival of the Carrousel international du film de Rimouski continues to strive to renew itself in order to remain at the vanguard of cultural trends. In addition to its quality programming and educational activities, the Carrousel has recently added a program of creative residency and workshops intended for professionals to its activities, the Cinélab PRO.
Over the years, the Carrousel has received numerous awards including:
- 2012: Winner of the Prix culturel rimouskois, Event of the Year category
- 2010: TELUS Innovation Prize
- 2007: Finalist, Cultural Event, Gala des entreprises et des marchands
- 2005: Finalist, Les Mercuriades, Media, Leisure and Culture category
- 2004: Cultural Enterprise Prize, Gala des entreprises et des marchands
- 1998: Excellence Award, Gala des entreprises et des marchands, Cultural entreprise
- 1996: Excellence Award, SNEQ
- 1993: Les Grands prix du tourisme, Regional Winner
- 1993: Excellence Award, Culture and Events
- 1989: Excellence Award, Gala des entreprises et des marchands, Cultural sector